Monday, May 18, 2015

I Hate Smoking Dope

Okay, now I know you're thinking, "Hey, can't this idiot make up his mind?" Don't worry, I'll still blaze with you. It's the term dope I hate. I hate smoking dope.

Now this might just be me, but the term dope, either conjures up the specter of some sticky substance made to glue two pieces of something together, or a substance that will turn me into a dope if I smoke it.

Neither is true.

I object to the fact that many people would put me, as a Cannabis consumer, in the same category as someone who sniffs glue. Glue will kill you. Pot won't. I am not in favor of people doing many of the other drugs available. I am not for something that harms you. Well, hell, life harms you, but you know what I mean.

Marijuana, although a schedule 1 drug, is not addictive, does not rot your brain, and you cannot overdose on it. You might overdose on oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but not on the Pot.

I also don't think it makes me stupid.

"Oh sure," you say. "You're stoned out of your fricken gourd. How would you know if you were stupid?"

Well, I guess you might have a point there on the rare evening that I smoke heavier than normal. However, that's even more true on the nights that I drink more whiskey than I normally do. In fact, when I drink, which I try not to do often, I have a hard time knowing when to stop. I can get so wrapped up in conversation that I don't realize how drunk I'm getting. That doesn't happen when I smoke.

What I found since I started getting high again is that I read the same books, understand the same sort of concepts, and can still carry on as intelligent a conversation as I could do before. It might even be better.

I find that cannabis use tends to make me more productive and curious. I read more, look things up more, want to find things out more. I have no proof that this is true other than my perception. However, being as subjective as I am able, I find that I am indeed a better person because I light up the occasional bowl.

I hate smoking dope. I hate the term. If we are going to win over those small minded people who are against the legalization of this plant, then we need to project it with a better light. Using the term smoking dope does nothing to further this goal; in my humble-assed opinion.

Stoney

No comments:

Post a Comment